
I had the day off of work today and then my Chinese history professsor called and cancelled class due to the holiday. We decided to take advantage of the 60 degree weather and check out a frog exhibit at the National Geographic Museum in DC. Once I told Max that there was a museum of frogs he was asking all morning when we were going to the frog museum. Knowing the weather wouldn't last, we braved our way onto the Metro. We got caught in the rain just after exiting the metro and ducked into a Borders for about 30 minutes to stay dry. While there we got to look at some good books and some joker turned the lights off on me while I was in the bathroom. He had become upset when I politely informed him that the stall was in use. So there I am stuck in the stall...in the dark. I began arming myself with the industrial size TP rolls to fend off my attacker who (I assumed) was waiting for me in the darkness. As I (very carefully (ewww)) felt my way out of the stall with a giant roll of toilet paper, another man came in and turned on the lights. AWKWARD!!! Well, the good news is that there was no attacker. But my attempt to explain that to the new guy only made the situation worse.
Here is Max next to a sign for the most poisonous animals in the world. The "Dart Poison Frog". They were small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, but held enough poison to kill ten humans. So we didn't touch them. Max ran all over the exhibit and wanted to see every frog. Some of them were so still that he wasn't sure they were real. We were all amazed by the bright colors and some of the very tiny amphibians.


We also got to see the fossil from a dinosaur that was found in Niger in 2000. It is called the Nigerasaurus (Nee-zher-uh-saurus). Max has been watching some shows lately dealing with fossils and was clearly fascinated. He even engaged a young GW student in conversation and listened intently when the guy started explaining to Max how they make the molds of the bones. He then repeated his version of what he had learned to Mom. It was pretty fascinating. Although we got rained on, stuck in a dark bathroom, stuck in traffic and could have been killed had someone broken out a blow gun and fired one of those frogs at us, it was a pretty good day.
5 comments:
That was me in the restroom. I was just upset cuz I really had to go bad. Turning off the lights seemed like a funny idea. And I was right.
I'm glad you didn't touch the frogs. Despite what some people might say, your instincts as a father are turning out to be pretty good.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't Jeff in the bathroom. I'm pretty sure it was Sea Bass.
I like when Matt takes a turn writing a post, I miss his sense of humor. Looks like a memorable outing. Wish we had stuff like that here in Spanish Fork...maybe I'll take Cael and Ava down to the animal shelter tomorrow to get our wildlife fix. :)
I want a poisonous frog for my birthday now...
Mangums,
I found Rick on Myspace and found all my long lost friends from the Hingham ward. Congrats on the new baby, old baby, school, and well, everything!!! Matt, you would probably know me better as a brimhall, but I am finding out that all I have to say is "Emily from AZ" and that seems to jog the memory. Check out our blog at brianandemilykleinman.blogspot.com.
Emily K
Post a Comment