Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ULTRASOUND

IT"S GOING TO BE A GIRL!!!!!!

Jen had an ultrasound this morning and the nurse was able to pretty much confirm that our second child will be a little girl. Like her older brother she was very active and the nurse had a hard time getting good shots of everything. With a little patience we were able to see all of her little limbs and count all of her vital organs. We are grateful that everything appears to be moving smoothly and both Jen and the baby are enjoying normal health and development. It really is a miracle. Here is a profile of the baby's face.





They also took some of what they call 4D pictures of the baby. These were fascinating to us and provided a very interesting perspective to watch the baby move on the TV screen. She just couldn't sit still. Of all of those shots this is the one that we felt provided the best look. It almost looks like she is giving us a little left handed salute.




After all that has happened over the past year and also the experiences of our friends and loved ones, we feel so blessed to be expecting this little girl. It really is a miracle. Max was pretty broken up about it. It actually took us a few hours to console him and bring him to terms with the fact that he is going to have a little sister instead of the brother he wanted. He came around when he realized that he could still teach her how to jump off of things and run "super fast" around the house. He's going to be a fantastic big brother. And you all are already aware of the kind of mother that Jen is. When I was talking to my parents about how serious Jennifer and I were getting (when we were dating) one of the first things I mentioned was that I beleived she would be an amazing mother. With so little understanding, at the time, of what it meant to be a parent I wonder how I was able to see that so clearly. But I was correct. It is amazing to watch her and I am so excited for this little girl to come to a Mother that is waiting for her with such adoring anticipation. The only person I feel sorry for is the poor sap that shows up to pick her up for a date when she turns 16. Because he is going to have me to deal with me.....and watch me clean a firearm.

15 comments:

Becky said...

Congrats! Girls are so much fun! I love the story of having to console Max -- that's so cute. I'm glad to hear the pregnancy is going so well and YAY for the halfway point! Any Utah trips planned?

Jewel Stratford said...

What wonderful news. Max is going to be the best big brother-ever and you, both, are such great parents! I can see baby sister's little face and personality through the ultrasound. What a doll and how amazing babies are!!! I'm going to go to Costco TODAY and get buy something pink!! Yipee!!

Sam said...

YEA! We are so excited for you guys!!!! Plus now our little girls can be best friends. :)
And just so you know, my dad really was sharpening a knife when the boy came over to pick up my oldest sister for her first date. Luckily he cooled off by the time I started dating Sam.

Steven and Erika said...

YEAH! A little girl! I am so happy for your guys! Girls are super fun and Max will love her to pieces although he was hoping for a little brother :)
Congratulations!

Lisa K said...

Congrats!! What's up with the Beardall cousins first having boys then girls? Can't wait to see ya'll next month!

natalie said...

CONGRATS Mangum family! We are so excited for you. Matt, thanks for those sweet words about your wife. I got all emotional! YOu are such an adorable family! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

Hello from some Mangums in Centerville Utah.
Best wishes for your family.

Downs Family said...

Congrats Jenn & Matt, way to follow the cousins pattern. It's really fun to have one of each because they are so different in their own ways. I am glad the pregnancy is going good and hopefully we can see you when you are out this summer.

Adam said...

You can borrow my shotgun. Lena will be 18 and headed off to college by then. All the guys will have be frightened away by her crazy father by that point.

Seriously, congrats!

also known as shell said...

no kidding we all have boys first than girls!!! good job jen on keeping up on the tradition!

Jeff said...

Am I the only one who thinks 4D fetal images are a bad idea? I think everyone is finally familiar with fuzzy ultrasound pics, but the 4D pic is creepy... it reminds me of the Hell scene in "What Dreams May Come" that showed a 'living' sea of faces of the souls who were trapped there.

On the bright side of 4D, your little girl looks great as a clay sculpture =)

Michael Stanfill said...

Wow! Congratulations you guys! That is fantastic news.

Laurie said...

Congratulations Mangums!!! We are so excited for you. Come and visit in Houston soon!!!!

The Mangums said...

We are so excited for you guys! Tell Max that girls can climb trees and fly like superheroes too...Hayley has her own pink Supergirl cape and everything! Can't wait to see you all this summer!

Ben Arkell said...

Congrats on the baby girl to come. Love the 4D salute.