Europe was exactly how I always pictured it. The people, the food, the architecture, the language everything was wonderful. I enjoyed re-learning the language and teaching some key phrases to Matt. By the end we were able to have basic conversations with the Germans. So much fun! The Germans were so helpful to the tourists even with the language barrier. Those old ladies sure did try their best to help you, and then along comes a twenty-something to help translate what the old lady is saying. Bless their souls! We loved it so much and look forward to returning one day.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Trip to Germany - Part 1
Our trip to Germany was very eventful and a highlight of both of our lives. I was lucky to be able to tag along with Matt while he was there on a business trip. My mom was able to come to VA and stay with the kiddles which she did a fabulous job. We love and appreciate her so much. I was able to stay in Germany one week and we did as much as we could. We came home with 250 pictures and a million memories. We will try and hit the high points for our viewers.
Europe was exactly how I always pictured it. The people, the food, the architecture, the language everything was wonderful. I enjoyed re-learning the language and teaching some key phrases to Matt. By the end we were able to have basic conversations with the Germans. So much fun! The Germans were so helpful to the tourists even with the language barrier. Those old ladies sure did try their best to help you, and then along comes a twenty-something to help translate what the old lady is saying. Bless their souls! We loved it so much and look forward to returning one day.
I rather enjoyed the Exit signs in Germany. You never see any words on them just a person running and an arrow. I thought is was handy since not everyone would know the word for EXIT in german. This way we all knew which way to run, not walk to the exit. They also use similar graphics for people using stairs and escalators. One sign in Munich we saw a sign for an escalator with a pic of a man with a tophat on. Maybe that escalator was for the well-to-do gentlemen and not the commoners. Although I didn't see any signs with women on them.
My first train ride ever. Pretty cool. I was so excited to take the train to Munich so that I could see the countryside of Germany. Leaving on a train at 5 am doesn't let you see much scenery. It wasn't until an hour into our 2 hour ride did the sun come up and covered the countryside in sunshine. Beautiful churches, quaint farms and modest houses dotted the sides of the train. Trying to get a decent picture of the scenic valleys on a moving train going 125+ mph? Impossible. You'll just have to take our word for it.
Loading the train for Munich, Germany at 5 am after taking a taxi to the Hauptbanhof in Stuttgart.
The Schlossplatz in Stuttgart is the largest square in the city center and home to the New Castle that we built in 1746. As you can tell it was rather chilly in Germany this time of year. I always imagined myself in Europe in sandals, capris, a t-shirt, sunglasses and my sunhat. Not this time. I loved it anyway.
Europe was exactly how I always pictured it. The people, the food, the architecture, the language everything was wonderful. I enjoyed re-learning the language and teaching some key phrases to Matt. By the end we were able to have basic conversations with the Germans. So much fun! The Germans were so helpful to the tourists even with the language barrier. Those old ladies sure did try their best to help you, and then along comes a twenty-something to help translate what the old lady is saying. Bless their souls! We loved it so much and look forward to returning one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jenn you look so darn beautiful in all your pics!
Looks like a really great time and I just was reading today about the "running man" (European exit sign) today so that made me laugh that you noticed it. They say our "EXIT" sign needs to go!
That is awesome you were able to get away to such a great place!!!
Looks like a blast. I am so glad you were able to go. What fun memories. You did a great job highlighting the trip so far. I loved the pictures.
I've been waiting for you to post! I'm just as excited about the pics as I was to hear that you were going! You look like you were having a fabulous time. I am going to re-live our trip through you by remembering everything I've forgotten. You've taken better pics (the exit sign!). Great post, looking forward to the rest. Glad you're back!
Post a Comment